The New York State Education Department provides videos of effective teacher practice aligned to the NYSUT Teacher Practice Rubric. Click on a Video Album link below to view examples of effective teacher practice.
Standard II: Knowledge of Content and Instructional Planning
- Element II.6: Teachers evaluate and utilize curricular materials and other appropriate resources to promote student success in meeting learning goals.
- Element II.6.B: Selects Materials and Resources
Standard III: Instructional Practice
- Element III.1: Teachers use research-based practices and evidence of student learning to provide developmentally appropriate and standards-driven instruction that motivates and engages students in learning.
- Element III.1.A: Aligns Instruction to Standards
- Element III.1.B: Engages Student
- Element III.2: Teachers communicate clearly and accurately with students to maximize their understanding and learning.
- Element III.2.A: Provides Directions and Procedure
- Element III.2.B: Uses Questioning Techniques to Engage Student
- Element III.2.C: Responds to Students
- Element III.2.D: Communicates Content
- Element III.3: Teachers set high expectations and create challenging learning experiences for students.
- Element III.3.A:?Articulates Measures of Success
- Element III.3.B: Teacher Implements Challenging Learning Experiences
- Element III.4: Teachers explore and use a variety of instructional approaches, resources, and technologies to meet diverse learning needs, engage students and promote achievement.
- Element III.4.A: Differentiates Instruction
- Element III.5: Teachers engage students in the development of multi-disciplinary skills, such as communication, collaboration, critical thinking, and use of technology.
- Element III.5.A: Provides Synthesis, Critical Thinking, Problem-Solving and Opportunities for Collaboration
- Element III.6: Teachers monitor and assess student progress, seek and provide feedback, and adapt instruction to student needs.
- Element III.6.A: Uses Formative Assessment to Monitor and Adjust Pacing
- Element III.6.B: Provides Feedback During and After Instruction
Standard IV: Learning Environment
- Element IV.1: Teachers create a mutually respectful, safe, and supportive learning environment that is inclusive of every student.
- Element IV:1:A: Interactions with Students
- Element IV.2: Teachers create an intellectually challenging and stimulating learning environment.
- Element IV:2:A: Promotes Student Pride in Work and Accomplishments
- Element IV.3: Teachers manage the learning environment for the effective operation of the classroom.
- Element IV:3:A: Establishes Routines/Procedures/Transitions?and Expectations for Student Behavior
- Element IV:3:B: Manages Instructional Groups
- Element IV.4: Teachers organize and utilize available resources (e.g. physical space, time, people, technology) to create a safe and productive learning environment.
- Element IV:4:A: Organizes Learning Environment
Standard V: Assessment for Student Learning
- Element V.2: Teachers understand, analyze, interpret, and use assessment data to monitor student progress and to plan and differentiate instruction.
- Element V.2.B: Engages Students in Self-Assessment